Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Davies Symphony Hall

Davies Symphony Hall is an acoustically engineered room. It is optimized for the sound from the Orchestra to reach the audience as clean, clear music. I think it has been mostly optimized for the Orchestra floor level and we have box seats. It's particularly bad in the far back on Tier 1 and higher. Also, the reflectors actually make the organ sound worse and the cement structure and floor create a very cold hard sound.

One of the features I don't understand is this array of slots and protrusions. My guess is that is supposed to act as a slot array for extremely low frequencies because the size and distances are so large. But I can't think of any instrument, except for the organ, which produces such low notes. My other guess is that there is motor noise from something, perhaps in the ceiling itself or above like the HVAC unit and this array alleviates that problem.

If you have any ideas, please let me know.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: